Avoid Holiday Scams
Don't let The Grinch steal your information this holiday season! Scammers are getting sneakier and smarter, so it’s important to remain extra vigilant, especially while online shopping. We’ve put together some warning signs of online shopping fraud along with some handy tips for consumers to follow.
Scam Warning Signs:
- Be wary of incredibly low prices
- Avoid sellers that only accept payments by wire transfer, money orders, or gift cards
- Ensure that there are clear contact details for the merchant
- Steer clear of websites with poor spelling and grammar
Tips & Tricks for Avoiding Scams:
- Do not click on unsolicited links via text, social media, or email
- Do not assume emails about updating your account information are safe
- Only make payments on websites that include https in the URL
- Don't use the same password for more than one account
Visit the FTC website to learn more about what you can do to avoid being scammed: https://consumer.ftc.gov/scams.